skip navigation

Our History

History of Hendry Regional Medical Center - Clewiston, Florida

First hospital on the ridge

In 1929, a small building on the Ridge, was remodeled into an 18-bed hospital. The building had served as the original home of Southern Sugar Company and The Clewiston Company. The physician in charge at that time was Dr. F.L. Tatum with Dr. W.O. Rigby, Dr. Samuel Simmons and Dr. O.F. Schiffli on the staff.

Second Hospital

The original Watanabe Hotel was demolished and a second Watanabe Hotel was built on North Francisco Avenue (on the site of the present day Elks Lodge). In 1937, U.S. Sugar Corporation purchased the building and remodeled it into the Clewiston Emergency Hospital. The physician in charge was Dr. W.O. Rigby. Later, the facility's name was changed to Sugarland Hospital, with Dr. A. B. Johnson as the chief physician. The hospital, a subsidiary of U.S. Sugar, was losing money annually and it was closed in October of 1945. Dr. Johnson maintained offices in the building, and it was used for a County Health Clinic.

Hendry General Hospital

Hendry General Hospital was constructed after formation of the Hendry County Hospital Authority Board and with a receipt of a federal grant under the Hill-Burton Act. The new facility opened on April 1, 1951 as a 50-bed facility and a 20-bed expansion in 1958.

Hendry Regional Medical Center

In 1995, the name of the hospital was changed from Hendry General Hospital to Hendry Regional Medical Center, as it is known today.

New Emergency Department

In 2011, Hendry Regional Medical Center opened its a 37,000 square-foot Emergency Department, which encompasses an emergency room, surgery suite, imaging services, laboratory and out-patient services department.